In Wellington public library the otherday I came accross a recent book on creativity and such. It had some good ideas about exercising your brain for artists. Here are the rough notes I wrote into my book:
Go topsy turny
- Workupside down
- Turn an image 180 degrees
- Recreate using lines and shapes
Colour a word
- Write down a word representing a complex issue then translate it into a picture
Sing for spontaneity
- Sing out loud or repeat a 'mantra' of any kind
Imagine a photograph
- Choose a photo
- Identiy the primary shapes by outlining them with a marker.
- If you had to break it down to 4-5 shapes what would they be?
- Create a drawing or painting out of it
Be a critic
- The left brain is the inner critic
- Look at a piece of work by another artist. What are the strengths and weaknesses? What could be done to improve the message?
- Focus on techniques used and not just emotion
Applaud your supplys
- Start by looking at info on packaging then look up resources like manufactures websites and artists message boards.
Paint with words
- Chooses a painting and employ as many adjectives to it
- Have someone read what you have written and sketch it
Step it out
- List the steps you would take to re-create a famous work of art, whether the artist created it that way or not